Yesterday my friend and I were having the ‘if I knew then what I know now’ discussion. There are some mistakes that I’ve made along the way but I know that all of those mistakes have brought me to the wonderful place that I’m at now.
I understand myself so much better than I did when I was 20 and even 25. I love that. I love that life is a constant educational journey. Sometimes I wish that I could be in college forever, because I enjoy that learning process so much.
But really, every day I learn something new about myself and about life in general no matter what. I hope that I never stop exploring, questioning, thinking and learning- even if I’m not in a formal classroom. And I hope that I never stop making mistakes, because those are the opportunities that I have to discover something better and learn something new.
I think that this next year is going to bring a lot of opportunities for Andy and I to make some choices and change our direction a bit. Part me is worried about making mistakes- wrong decisions, but mostly I’m excited for the new things that we’re going to learn about ourselves and our relationship through all this.
Still, there are a few little things that I wish I could go back and tell my younger self:
1. Liquid hand soap cannot be used in place of dishwasher soap lest you want to flood your entire kitchen.
2. Your first instinct is usually the right one. Don’t second guess yourself.
3. Don’t slam on the breaks when you find yourself driving on icy roads.
4. Reconnect with that friend from high school sooner.
5. It’s probably not the best idea to use your last $25 on a new blouse when you really need to fill your car with gas.
6. Don’t ever let anyone bully or persuade you to give up something you love.
7. Have faith that tomorrow will be okay- don’t walk away too soon.
8. Nothing is ever final. If you don’t like your life, it’s in your power to change it.
Anything you’d go back and tell your younger self if you could?
ps. happy friday!