I dusted off the sewing machine this weekend with the plan of making a cushion for our glider. The glider sits in the front of the house and we spend quite a bit of time on it either reading or just relaxing. I had already bought the fabric and foam several months ago but just never got around to doing it.
The project turned out fairly easy and I only had to call my mom once for a reminder on how to do the button holes. It’s been so long since I sewed much of anything other than the bunting for our wedding.
The first thing I did was line up my foam on the bench and then cut it to fit.
Then I took it inside and cut my fabric to fit the foam piece with a couple of inches leftover on each side to allow for the seam.
I sewed around two edges with the fabric inside out (one edge was where the fold was.) The fourth edge I left open, just turning over the edges two inches to make them clean. I did not sew it closed. Instead I added button holes and these cute little buttons. I can now remove the fabric cover from the foam whenever I need to wash it.
Now I plan to get fabric for pillows to match the buttons!
There are two things I still plan to remedy- 1. I’m going to sew an inner casing for the foam so that it will have a double layer of fabric around it. The inner casing will not be removable and will just serve as a protection for the foam. 2. I plan to get one more layer of foam to make the cushion thicker. It’s comfy the way it is, but it will be even nicer with two layers.
All in all this was a learning project and one that I went into with not much of a plan. I kind of winged it and I’m happy with the way it turned out. Just needs pillows and it will be finished!
Mauney tested, Mauney approved.